Friday, January 4, 2013

HI CUZ 95


HICUZ 95
Copyright 1990 et seq, Donald Rowe

Reminder, your acceptance of this newsletter signifies that you will not use its contents to alter, and thus disrespect in any form or way, the historical religious beliefs, no matter what they were – or were not – of family members mentioned herein.

This reminder specifically refers to performing LDS ordinances using any of the data in this or other HICUZ posts.
 
 
McDonald searches – a search using www.familysearch.org found no Federal Census   data for the Captain John Angus and Marjorie McDonald family.

WROE. A mailing list for the discussion and sharing of information regarding the Wroe surname and variations in any place and at any time. To subscribe send "subscribe" to wroe-l-request@rootsweb.com (mail mode) or wroe-d-request@rootsweb.com (digest mode).

SHAHAN. A mailing list for the discussion and sharing of information regarding the Shahan surname and variations in any place and at any time. To subscribe send "subscribe" to shahan-l-request@rootsweb.com (mail mode) or shahan-d-request@rootsweb.com (digest mode).

McCARTHY. A mailing list for the discussion and sharing of information regarding the McCarthy surname and variations in any place and at any time. To subscribe send "subscribe" to mccarthy-l-request@rootsweb.com (mail mode) or mccarthy-d-request@rootsweb.com (digest mode).


MLFHS: Old Maps Online

A free search portal for finding online historical maps based on locality and time period, created as a project by the University of Portsmouth and the Joint Information Systems Committee (JISC).

It allows the user to search for digitised historical maps across numerous different collections via a geographical search. Search by typing a place-name or by clicking in the map window, and narrow by date. http://www.oldmapsonline.org/

Drag the map in bottom left hand corner to the area of interest and the list of maps at the right will change.

MLFHS: Dickens Journals Online

I (fellow MLFHS member) have just come across an interesting online resource. It is a University of Buckingham project called Dickens Journals Online. It includes 'Household Words' 1850-59 as scanned images and searchable text. This publication includes a lot of local news events (try searching for Manchester). I have added it to the toolbar Publications - Old Newspapers or you can go direct to  http://www.djo.org.uk/

I note there is a donations form and if you enjoy it as much as I have, maybe a small donation will help them to keep it afloat.

MLFHS: Interpreting Lancs BMD references

Although I (fellow MLFHS member) would agree the "what's the benefit" line of thought, as far as I am aware it was not echoed in the Protestant nonconformist chapels who seemed to take it up pretty enthusiastically across the board within a few years of the Authorised Person (AP) option becoming available. It also appears to be church-wide and I am hard pressed to think of a Catholic church which took up the AP option before the mid 20th century, your Bolton example is about as early as they get.

I think that the difference between the RC and Non-Conformist churches ca1898 was that the RC were required under Canon Law [Church Law] to keep sacramental registers, of which marriage was one.  Taking on the role of AP meant another set of registers to maintain with the associated admin work. 

As far as I can see many of the Non-Conformist chapel seem to have stopped maintaining chapel registers when civil registration was introduced, so taking on the role of AP would have provided them with an organised record of marriages.

With regard to Catholic churches and Authorised Persons, my notes about the gap in St Edmund's, Bolton, MAY be in error, as the dates I quoted are from the "Years Indexed" column and I am not sure if all the Marriage registers for Bolton have been indexed.  It is interesting that St Edmund's has two reference Numbers which does suggest that the AP registration ceased for a time

I have extracted the notes about RC churches from the Lancs BMD Manchester coverage of marriages.  The year of appointment of an AP is in the middle of each line.

Ancoats, St Ann's Catholic Church, Junction Street 1936 Manchester 248

Ardwick, St Aloysius Church, Park Place/Palfrey Place 1936 Manchester 272

Baguley, Sacred Heart (RC), Southmoor Road 1981 Manchester 380

Blackley, Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Wilson Road 1981 Manchester 366

Blackley, St John Bosco (RC), Charlestown Road 1981 Manchester 381

Burnage, St Bernard (RC), Burnage Lane 1981 Manchester 378

Chorlton-cum-Hardy, St Ambrose RC Church, Princess Road 1981 Manchester

Chorlton-on-Medlock, Church of the Holy Name (RC), Oxford Road 1936
Manchester 268

Clayton, St Willibrorde (RC), North Road 1981 Manchester 379

Collyhurst, St Malachy (RC), Eggington Street 1982 Manchester

Crumpsall, St Anne's RC Church, Crumpsall Crescent 1977 Manchester 350

Fallowfield, St Kentigern (RC), Hart Road 1982 Manchester 386

Gorton, Sacred Heart, Levenshulme Road 1982 Manchester 384

Higher Blackley, St Clare's RC Church, Victoria Avenue 1975 Manchester 349

Hulme, St Wilfrid, Birchvale Close 1982 Manchester 388

Longsight, St Joseph (RC), Plymouth Grove 1981 Manchester 377

Longsight, St Richard (RC), Sutcliffe Avenue 1981 Manchester 376

Longsight, St Roberts RC Church, Hamilton Road 1936 Manchester 239

Manchester, St Chad (RC), Cheetham Hill Road 1981 Manchester 374

Manchester, St Hilda (RC), Kenworthy Lane 1981 Manchester 372

Manchester, St Mary of the Angels & St Clare, Elbow Street 1996 Manchester 416

Manchester, St Michael (RC), George Leigh Street 1981 Manchester 370

Manchester, St. Mary RC, Mulberry Street 1940 Manchester 197

Miles Platting, Corpus Christi Church, Varley Street 1981 Manchester 360

Moss Side, Our Lady (RC), Raby Street 1991 Manchester 411

Moston, St Dunstan's Cath Church, Worsley Avenue 1981 Manchester 363

Moston, St John Vianneys (RC), Poynter Street 1981 Manchester 373

New Moston, St Margaret Mary (RC), St Margaret's Road 1986 Manchester 404

Newton, St Edmunds RC Church, Monsall Street 1944 Manchester 258

Openshaw, St Anne (RC), Ashton Old Road 1982 Manchester 394

Openshaw, St Vincent (RC), Craydon Street 1982 Manchester 392

South Withington, Church of English Martyrs, Alexander Road 1977 Manchester 354

Wythenshawe, St Anthony's Cath Church, Portway, Woodhouse Park 1965 Manchester 335

Wythenshawe, St Peter (RC), Firbank Road 1995 Manchester 415

There seem to be two main groups of churches, one with AP appointments in 1936, and the other with appointment close to 1981.  The mixed later dates are probably dates soon after the opening of those churches.  The two clusters would imply, as you suggest, some sort of 'advice' from on high.  I have not compared this list with the list of Catholic churches in Manchester today.  There may be some that have not yet appointed an AP.

I will see if I can find anything further about this.

O’Connor family research – A letter from a distant Irish cousin was recently re-discovered. It noted that the most remote O’Connor known of came from County Cork, and took over control of about 300 acres of land. A number of questions come to mind. Your inputs are solicited.

1)          Why did they move to Cork?
2)          What was the timing of the move with respect to historical events (clearings, Cromwellian conquest)?
3)          In face of then existent Anti-Catholic laws, how were they able to control land?

MLFHS: International Genealogical Index (IGI) searches
I have not used the IGI for some time and it has changed!  One used to be able to put in the parents' names 

One MLFHS member response -
I haven't used the IGI for a while because I could never find the names I had once found and presumed I was out of step somewhere.
The IGI was helpful in finding family groups though - just as a guideline. not always complete or 100% accurate I will admit.
It's never quite the same when things change is it I too miss the old IGI and it's simplicity.

To answer your question , yes it is still available but in a redesigned  format, you can find it with an explanation of why it changed at, https://familysearch.org/igi.

To search on parents names you need a batch number and where better to get one,
<http://www.archersoftware.co.uk/igi/index.htm>, a more comprehensive list than the Hugh Wallis site and it will let you search the new IGI directly without first using the main IGI site.

MLFHS: Manchester Blitz Maps

At 15:58 16/12/2012 - A set of recently discovered maps showing where the bombs fell in the 19440 Manchester blitz has been published on the University web site. The URL is
>http://enriqueta.man.ac.uk/luna/servlet/view/all/what/blue+circles+for+high+explosives?sort=Reference_Number%2CReference_Number%2CReference_Number%2CPage

I have just added it to the toolbar (other-maps). The implementation is not very user friendly as there is no proper index to the maps and the viewer window is a little small, but it is a fascinating and detailed set.

Thanks for pointing out this way of accessing these very interesting maps JohnThough it still took me quite a time to locate the area I was born in. It is a pity that there is not a simpler index.

Perhaps others could confirm my conclusion that these maps just relate to bombs that fell on Manchester in late December 1940 And that there were further bombing raids on Manchester up to 1943 ?

I was born in West Didsbury in 1940 and must have been too young for this blitz.But one of my earliest childhood memories was finding the garden full of the silver strips dropped by the German bombers to confuse the British radar, and then seeing the ARP wardens bringing a body out of a nearby bombed house in Northern Grove or Clive Road off Barlow Moor Road, so I guess that this must have been in ~1943.  If you drive down these streets now you can still see which houses in the row had to be rebuilt. None of these appear on the above map, so I assume that there must have been later raids. However it is interesting to see where bombs did fall in 1940 ever so close to where we were living.

Later my father did try to tell us a bit about his experiences during the blitzes as an ARP warden (and it must have been a very tough time for many), but as so often happens in our family history world, sadly we did not take much interest at the time when we might have asked more questions.

Captain John Angus McDonald USMC letters 1927

Captain Jack’s wife Marjorie May (MacKenzie) McDonald and daughter Barbara McDonald live in USMC housing at a base in Port Au Prince, Haiti. Captain Jack’s age while in Nicaragua was 49.

At Sea, May 15, 27
USS Argonne
9:45 AM

My darling girl: -

This is my first letter, And I expect to mail it in Panama, tomorrow May 16 –

So  far the trip has been “ok” Sea nice and calm.  Good good. Bet the weather rather worse.

I want to say so much in this letter that I hardly know where to begin. Capt Baryancy (??SP), Lt Ligin (?SP), Capt Kenicast (?SP) and my-self are at the same table writing in the ward-room. The ship officers are very nice and treat us fine. Poor Dr. Yancey (?SP) – he is about coming too. Nice to hear after you ladies left the ship.  And did not show up after next morning. Very much broken heart over leaving. So was I darling. Bet you and I had to make the best over this --- business. And you can rest assured that this separation won’t be for very long as far as we are concerned. At the present moment as far as my health is concerned I feel fine and????. And I am going to see it remains that way from now on.

I expect Marjorie that this letter will be very much disoriented --- But as I said in the beginning I don’t really know how to begin.

I was so very happy that you were able to come out to the ship before it sailed. And how I saddened see that boat leave the ship to take you away from me.

But what could be done to prevent it.


USS Argonne, at Sea
Wednesday 1:30 PM
May 18, 1927

My own, darling girl: -

This letter is all probability via the mail from the ship.

We arrive in Coracito, Nicaragua at about 5 AM tomorrow May 19th. We received a wire from Headquarters saying that three companies would go to Leon. And our Company (mine) to a town about 12 miles from Leon and 16 miles from Coracito.

I requested this assignment as I thought it would be the best, and Col. A. Leary was kind enough to give it to me.

Captains K Barsaugh, Horan and the rest of the Officers go to Leon. My company officers are LTs  Kimling (?SP) and Scheper. I have a fine company …and have a nice base … everything that goes to make up a good company.

All are base aboard and the trip

PAGE TWO

as been expected. We left Panama City at 3 AM yesterday morning.

I hope you received the wire less message I sent, my letter I sent from Panama I suppose will be a long time in reaching you, on account of the poor mail service. But darling I will write to you often. And if you don’t receive them when you think you should you will know it’s not my fault, but the mail service.

My darling we receive press notices from Nicaragua each morning saying that the Rebels are laying down their arms, and surrendering to the Marines. So if they are doing that our stay would be far less long.

For the life of me none of us can see any good reason for taking this Barbara out of Haiti.

But as you know ???? plays a big part in these small wars we now and there chose to take a hand in.  ??? is all very nice for the big guns in Washington to order things. But doing this remains for some

PAGE THREE

one else to do. Marjorie we did the proper thing by not (??SP cleaning) up the house and you and Barbara not going back to the States.

And it was certainly lucky that Mrs. K could come in and share things. I think we will all be back by August. By that time our services will be required more in Haiti than Nicaragua.

All the Officers and men are well and we have all been (???) staying on the ship. You know Marjorie that this may come so unexpectedly and we all had so much to do.  That we are all coming out of our trance (now).

I do so hope that everything will be :ok: with you and Barbara.

Poor dear I suppose she wonders where her daddy is, Daddy come manana. Lord Marjorie how I do miss you both, more than I can say isn’t for (??) ink. But what can one do, when there is a lot of --- forces in Washington trying to (??) things. You and Barbara take

PAGE FOUR

Good care off yourselves. As I am going to do. And we will soon be together again.

I am Marjorie going to do what we talked about on the ship. (Surveyed) I will be so anxious to hear from you, And to find out how you are getting along.

Now remember darling you have $326.00 in the Bank, clear on May 30, And $479.00 coming each month.  Please don’t (stint) yourself and Barbara. Also use the car, the stand by drivers will take you and place you want to go.  I tried to arrange everything for you before I left, but as you know now darling my time to do anything was limited.

If you have any trouble in the Bank, which I don’t think you will go to Mr. Voeris  (SP) and he will help you out.

Also the Marines paymaster Capt. Reich my living expenses since I am away I don’t expect to be over $25.00 per month taking in everything. I know you are a Good Marine, Marjorie, and that

PAGE FIVE

helps so much at a time like this.

You and I darling are so much better off than some officers on this trip.

And as I said before we did a a wise move by keeping our little home in Haiti.  I can see you are there now, and my love and thoughts will always be with you and darling Barbara.

Please pardon me for all I have ever done to you Marjorie to cause you unhappiness and grief.

I am unfortunate in that way. But I suffer most when it’s all over.

I love you (??) than you think I do. And I miss you ---------Please don’t worry over me. I will be “ok.” And I will take good care off myself. And you do the same.

I will write as soon as I get sent ashore. And there will always be a letter for you in each mail that leaves Nicaragua.

Good bye my darling and may God watch over you until we meet again.  Kiss our darling for me.

Your own Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment