Sunday, March 10, 2013

HICUZ 100


HI CUZ Blog 100
Copyright 1990 et seq, Donald Rowe
Reminder, your acceptance of this newsletter signifies that you will not use its contents to alter, and thus disrespect in any form or way, the historical religious beliefs, no matter what they were – or were not – of family members mentioned herein.

This reminder specifically refers to performing LDS ordinances using any of the data in this or other HICUZ newsletters or blog posts.


 
 
MLFHS: cursive writing query for our senior UK members

Hi senior listers,
Does anyone remember what age you were when you were taught "joined-up" writing at school? I have some signatures of some girls around 1930/40 and am trying to identify around what age they were likely to have been.

Subject: MLFHS: cursive writing query for our senior UK members

What would be 2nd year juniors? (excuse my ignorance)
Thanks for your answer.

It was second year juniors for me. I won a prize for my writing that year, but then it disintegrated and I was told off forever more about untidiness.

very best

Captain John Angus McDonald USMC letters 1927

Continuing from previous postings …. Captain Jack’s wife Marjorie May (MacKenzie) McDonald and daughter Barbara McDonald live in USMC housing at a base in Port Au Prince, Haiti. Captain Jack’s age while in Nicaragua was 49. Imagine yourself in the mountains of Nicaragua as you march along with Nancy’s grandfather.

Chinandaga, Nicaragua
July 18, 27

My own darling:-

While I am here I am going to try and have a letter for you in each mail that leaves Corinto.

This is the peace we were supposed to take over when we first landed.  But I am just as glad that I didn’t for several reasons.

The friend the Liet here has my news since leaving the mountains.Hot all day until three PM. And then it rains.

Lasst February about two thousand natives were killed here, and the best part of the town destroyed. And taking in all it isn’t a most desirable peace. No trouble, of any kind, But just bad conditions.

By the time your receive this letter Marjorie, our time in Nicaragua will be getting short. And believe me I won’t be the least bit sorry.

PAGE TWO

Now this is the dope. Corgresses sails from California on the 25th of July with a Battalion of Marines, Corinto, which will be about the 10th of August. We sail for Haiti. All the Officers that came Haiti are returning.

You and I Marjorie had the right dope, And I am mightily glad that are kept our home.

From the day we left Leon May 21st until ??? say this area when we finally got settled in home on the move.  And the greater part of that time, out of commission with what was happening elsewhere.

And now that we finally have come down to earth, we are trying to put together all loose connections.  I am all rested up now and feel fine.

I only lost 30 pounds in weight, But I am getting it all back slowly. I was very fortunate in having a good company. Ano they have

PAGE THREE

All come through fine, with the exception of the two who were Captured by the bandit Sandino, July 3. –

The natives in Esteli were very friendly, gave us a wonderful reception July 4th.  And we had nothing to complain about then & then.

They sent a letter of recommendation to the General in Managua about us. And I suppose that would do any harm.  We are only 12 miles from Corinto, And near the Railroad and we won’t have any more kicking to do. George Morse had his arm broken full from a horse. And was sent home.  Lt Hood had the same accident happen to him and he was sent home.

All the Officers that came from Haiti with us staid in Leon. Lt Keinling and Lt Scheper were with me all are the time. In Leon they had the life of Riley, and they look it. Saw Doctors Nicey in Managua.

PAGE FOUR

In the usual Conditions worse if anything, not much more attached to him. I spent my my few minutes with him. They are only going to keep one Battalion of Marines in Nicaragua, the 5th Regiment forces Quantico.  With our rich Government Marjorie, they have only one ship the Argonne to take the Marines away.

Something is always wrong with the system, ships of all di9scriptions laying idle everywhere. But only one here.

I do hope that you and Baby are well and not moving. And That you know for sure that I am returning to Haiti.

Time won’t be long passing now  And the worst is over for us here. My letters to you darling have been few and far between.  But you know the reason well.

And the ones that I have written have not here I believe so good. We will soon be together and to us that is the best part after all.

PAGE FIVE

Haiti will certainly look good to me. Nicaragua cannot compare with it. I am so happy to know that you folks have gotten one so were together. And that you didn’t have any troubles about anything.

We should have lots of money in the Bank now. Use all you want.  And don’t want for anything, Marjorie. I am glad you got some pleasure from the car. It will feel good to have my hands on the wheel once more on our way to the beach.

In August darling will see me on my way back to Haiti on the Argonne.  And I will wire you the day and time from the ship when we arrive in Port-Au-Prince.

Good bye darling
For this time And God Bless you
And darling Barbara
All my love
Your Jack

The following is a special treat, a first hand account of life in the early WWII years, and what some kids (my older brothers before I was born) did for entertainment. It describes what my three brothers, Dan, Dave, and Den did when they went …

                          “Buggying”   By Dennis Joseph Rowe

You asked me to write you about – among other things – what we (three older brothers) did during the War Years – ’41 –’45.

Well, this has nothing to do with the war but one thing we did was “buggying.” We were all too young to drive and bicycles weren’t much fun so we got ourselves a buggy.  It was an open, two-seat (front and back) horse-drawn carriage.

I’m not sure where we got it but along Shore Road there were some farms with barns.  One was that of Doctor Tryon – an old biddy whom we thought of as a witch I guess because she didn’t want us in her barn lest we smoke and set the place on fire. She lived right across from us, was old, single and didn’t farm the property except to have it hayed.

Anyway we must have swiped – stolen or misappropriated were too strong a term for us Rowe boy angels on the buggy.  We stripped it down to the extent of removing the shafts out front that hitched to a horse then found some cable which must have come from a downed utility pole and wrapped it around the free-turning front axle – we had a long loop that allowed us to sit or stand at the back seat to drive the thing.

We would get it out onto Shore Road and push along – especially where there was some downhill – jump aboard. We weren’t very good at steering and it was hard to control *(* - once it even veired from a straight path it became unstable and a handful) so we ended up “all over the place” and, when there was an upcoming car, was a little intimidating to traffic. We might have been passed by overtaking traffic – we probably only went to 5, maybe 10 MPH – but who would risk it?

We probably did this one school’s out summer – I remember it always being good weather when we terrorized the territory (Mom & Dad must not have known about this or heard reports or been visited by the local police).

I recall what brought an abrupt end to our youthful joyriding: a broken wheel. In one of our many excursions off the paved roadway, we must have done it at speed and a wooden spoke – it was an old buggy – either came loose or broke so the metal rim collapsed and “flatspotted.”

There were many places along the roadway which were lightly wooded and we were able to hide and retrieve it easily close by.  That’s probably where we deserted it, as it was impossible to ride it anymore and we 10-to-13 year olds didn’t know where or how to get or install a spare rim. We sure(ly) couldn’t ask Dad to help.

It sure was fun while it lasted and I would strongly recommend the formative experience to any kids – except our own!

Shore Road is a two lane road in Cape Elizabeth, Maine.

I hope to include additional memories of that period in future HICUZ blog postings.

No comments:

Post a Comment